• Singapore FC

SFC into cup final

Singapore Football Club scored ten goals as they powered past Hibernians FC, and in to their first cup final, on Wednesday night. SFC hotshot, Liam Shotton (pictured) scored twice.

Coach Ross Macklin had his Sashmen ready from the first whistle. Liam Shotton went close in the opening minute with a one on one with the Hibs’ goalkeeper. The Englishman selflessly opted to pass at the crucial moment, but soon redeemed himself, as he scored five minutes later. In the process, he started what would soon be a busy evening for SFC’s data analytics team. SFC 1-0; five minutes played.

There was little let up from Singapore Football Club as the second goal came just a few minutes later. This time Shotton letting loose with a sublime strike, from 20 yards out, as the ball flew in the top left hand corner and past a flailing keeper’s hand.

SFC continued to set the pace, comfortably playing out from the back, whilst their wingbacks crafted some fantastic overlapping runs. Meanwhile, upfront Shotton continued to link up well with compatriot Mike Hemmingway.

These attacking strengths were soon underlined when Hemmingway secured SFCs third goal on the 15th-minute mark. SFC 3-0.

The fourth of SFC’s goals came by virtue of their midweek “Dark Destroyer” aka John Norfolk. Singapore’s favourite barista had already started to ghost past players, with the help of his customary shoulder drop, but in the 32nd minute, he hit a rasping drive. Hibernians’ goalkeeper, stung by the pace of Norfolk’s strike, struggled to contain the ball as it sneaked beneath his body and over the line. SFC 4-0.

The only moment of concern, for the men in red and white, came after an ugly collision between two their players at the back. What appeared to be a small miscommunication between SFC’s number one, Kelly Williams, and his defender Akil Pompey ultimately resulted in a painful pile-up. Although Williams was able to gather the loose ball, an errant knee from Pompey collided with his team mate’s head leaving the American prostrate.

Fortunately, the “Kentucky Kid” was ok to continue, but shortly afterward Hibs pulled a goal back to make it 4-1 before Mike Hemmingway decided to reassert SFC’s four-goal lead with his second of the match.

As the half time oranges were wheeled out the Centaurs’ scoreboard read:

“SFC 5 Hibernians 1”.

Ross Macklin still focused on making a statement, then decided to bring on some more attacking options as he unfurled fellow Stars & Stripes stalwart Matt Hulen, and Brentford Brexiteer Dom O’Shea. The latter made an instant impact, adroitly intercepting a wayward pass, and then neatly slotting his finish past the keeper. SFC 6-1. Forty-seven minutes played.

Rather than now ease off, Singapore Football Club continued to crank through the gears. A well-worked training ground routine saw SFC make it eight when an alert O’Shea rolled the ball into Macklin’s path, who calmly slotted the ball into the bottom corner from eighteen yards out. 7-1.

At the back, SFC continued to look untroubled, whilst the midfield Gallic pairing of Collins Mbeutcha and Anthony Garreau largely controlling the game centrally.

On the hour mark, SFC’s eighth goal arrived. A sustained build-up from the back finally found Matt Hulen who passed square to his compatriot Ross Macklin. The player-manager collecting his second goal of the evening; this time chipping the keeper from twenty yards out. 8-1.

Still, the goals flooded in.

SFC’s in form number 14, Liam Shotton, hit a well-struck volley and was unlucky not to score. His goal-bound shot clipping a defender’s hand. Whether it was intentional or unintentional was not clear, but rather than wait for a possible penalty, Dom O’Shea was first to react. The Marie Claire pin-up making it nine, with a simple finish.

To be fair to Hibernians they never stopped working. The men in green’s second goal came from a great first-time finish to make it 9-2, but ultimately SFC had the final say with their best goal of the evening. Several passes from one side of the pitch to the other finally saw the ball find Liam Shotton, on the edge of the box. After a well-timed overlapping run, the ball was pulled back from the by-line for Mbeutcha to hammer the ball home, and finally conclude proceedings.

Final score: 10-2.

And, breathe.